Friday, April 30, 2010

clothes with lives of their own


i stumbled upon these photos on flickr the other day and am really quite smitten with them. i thought i'd share them with you here. aside from their obvious aesthetic appeal, i think they really say something about clothing's connection to its wearer... that clothes themselves can be relatively meaningless when stripped of their context and the person who has chosen to adorn themselves with those clothes.

in fact, it quite reminds me of miranda july's now defunct project "learning to love you more," specifically of assignment #55 - photograph a significant outfit. but that's an entire post unto itself!

what do these make you think of? do you find them creepy, interesting, inspiring?

6 comments:

Andi B. Goode said...

Wow! These are really interesting. They remind me of the work of a digital artist who uses found objects and vintage photos, etc. But I can't remember her name. Ugh.
-Andi x

Amie said...

These are incredible. I find it really interesting that although the head and feet have been erased (for want of a better word), the arms and hands remain intact. It's almost unsettling.

Heather said...

These are so fascinating! I can't agree with your points more, too. I'm so glad I stumbled into your blog via you stumbling into mine- I absolutely love the premise of yours and I'm so looking forward to reading through back entries!

Unrelated, I love that there's a quince picture here, since my gay best friend is living his dream of throwing one for himself next weekend. It reminds me that I need to do some research to figure out what I should wear...

julia aka garconniere said...

andi - let me know if you remember that name.

amie - i was thinking the same thing. they seem almost half-ghost, half-living. stripped of their core, their heads, torsos and legs. i'm glad you like them, too.

heather - aw hurrah! i like making new blog friends. someone linked yours in newestwrinkle and it piqued my interest.

is your gay best (ha, i accidentally typed breast) friend turning 15? that is epic. you should wear a big floofy dress is what i say.

Heather said...

Haha no, he's turning 25/turned 25 months ago. He just really wants to wear something midriff revealing in the park, is my sense. I've never read newestwrinkle, the internets are so crazy this way, I love it! Okay I'm off in search of mountains of tulle...

Unknown said...

It’s easy to begin to play, and challenging to quit. You’ll run, you’ll generate, you’ll capture, you’ll die, and then you’ll do it all over again.
Runescape Gold

Post a Comment